Monday, October 1, 2007

Pie In The Sky

If you are not going to a far place, 8.30am to start a road trip in Melbourne is a bit too early! With my *ahem* great *ahem* driving skills, we reached Dandenong before the clock even struck ten! We could not head to the tulip farm as it only opens at 11.00am. We ended up parking our car at a bus stop to decide where should we head to. My friend was so awestruck with the scenery outside, he was more excited to get down the car to snap some pictures rather than deciding.


Hmmm... a piece of green land and a little hut.

In the end we decided to grab a few bites. Being a newbie at Dandenong, I had no idea which restaurant I was supposed to pop by! I was lucky my two road trip kakis had been to Dandenong before and hence recommended this great place to eat. Honestly, I wasn't too keen on visiting this place as I do not fancy eating pie. But what made me agreed to go was the name of the restaurant. Pie In The Sky.


When we reached the restaurant, the clock just hit t
en. Thank god the restaurant has opened! If not I had no idea where we should go. Probably sit in the car till the restaurant opens? I bet we were the first customers for the day. Ah... is not a norm for restaurants in Melbourne to actually open before ten!


This place offers a large variety of pies. From beef pies to chicken pies. From western style pies to Malay style pies! I am ser
ious! They have Chicken Kurma Pie, Tandoori Chicken Pie and Thai Chicken Green Curry Pies. All carrying the Gold Medal 2001 titles! Heck, they even sell Beef Rendang Pie! Wow! A Malay word that is so internationally known! Guaranteed freshness as their pies are made daily.

A great selection of pies... Yummy... yummy...


Since we were just her
e for a light breakfast, we only chose two pies to share. We chose one of the 'Asian' style pies, the Ayam Chicken Kurma Pie with mashed potatoes. The chicken kurma is surrounded by crispy crust of the pie. The aroma of the chicken kurma smelt exactly like the one back home! It even tasted like the one back home! The crust of the pie was not too thick and not over burnt! Just nice and crispy! It tasted so good but I just wish the mashed potatoes were a little more creamy. And more gravy please!

Look closer to the picture!!! They have indicator for every different pies! What a cute way to sort out the pies! Club for Chicken Kurma Pie! =D

This pie cost $13.50 plus $4.50 for the extra mashed potatoes.

The other gourmet pie we took was the Pie Floater. It is their Gold Medal Winner dish. You can pick any of your favourite pie (we chose the Steak and Mushroom Pie) in a thick and tasty 'Ham and Pea' soup top with a scoop of fresh and creamy mashed potatoes. The Steak and Mushroom Pie was extremely delicious! Two thumbs up for this! The fillings are made of minced beef in an i-don't-know what-is-it-called but-tasted so-damn-good gravy with chunks of mushrooms! And seasoned with pepper too! I am not a fan for western style soup besides mushroom soup but this Ham and Pea soup did not disappoint me. However, I feel this pie floater will go better with a plain pie like a beef pie. This is because the soup kinda covered up the steak pie taste. This pie floater cost $13.50 too!

Heading to the drinks menu, we ordered Iced Chocolate, Iced Coffee, Vanilla Milkshake and Hot Chocolate. Besides the Iced Coffee, every other drinks tasted normal... nothing exceptionally special. There wasn't any sugar in the Iced Coffee. So it was a bit bitter. I would say it tasted filled with coffee aroma. Both the Iced Chocolate and Coffee had a scoop of vanilla ice-cream in it. The hot chocolate was great because I enjoyed the milk froth! =P


The overall rating for this restaurant is...


With such big grins on our faces, I guess I don't need to say further...

Pie In The Sky
43, Olinda-Monbulk Rd, Olinda.
9751 2128
Opening hours: Mon-Sat: 10am-5pm Sun: 9.30am-5.30pm

P/S: Thank you Miss Vanity for mentioning me in your blog.

No comments: