Monday, September 3, 2007

VCP Ball 2007

The biggest event of the year that I always look forward to had come and gone like a flash of light. With this year's theme, Cirque du VCP I am surprised that no one dressed up as a clown. I thought it would match the theme perfectly well! Instead, everybody came in with gorgeous looking dresses and suits. My housemate came in with a stunning gold tube dress. She must have caught a lot of innocent eyes around that night. I came in low. Just a cheongsam. A bare back one. That's all.


Prior to entry, we were entertained by a balloon artist. A balloon artist that did not give me a balloon. The only thing he asked me was to balance a plate at the tip of my finger. And then, he asked me to balance another plate with my other finger tip. The only thing I could do then was to stand there and smile. What else was I suppose to do??? My housemate did not find him entertaining at all!

We were then ushered into the foyer where eight waiters greeted us with trays and trays of beers, wine and champagne. We got ourselves a glass of red wine. We tossed and drank. Mingled and drank. Walked around and drank. The ambiance was great. But the only thing missing out was the music. Without knowing, it was time to savour the 3 course banquet.

The grand ballroom was dimmed with yellow lights creating a really romantic mood. The tables were beautifully decorated with candelabras and wooden man as center pieces. Each and every seat had personalised name card. We even had a gift pack and a juggle ball to bring home as remembrance! The beauty of the ballroom blew me away.


What blew me away even more was this sophisticated fire dancer at the back of the ballroom.

But I soon found out he accidentally set himself on fire later during the night. Not so sophisticated after all.

As appetizer, we had tandoori chicken. Not very much like the one back home where the chicken is grilled in charcoal served with a naan. This was
lightly pan fried till perfection served with green leafy salad. It still tasted like the usual tandoori chicken. Just lack of the aroma I would say and it was cold!

No one sat still to enjoy the chicken. After grabbing a few bites of the appetizer, people were all over the place snapping pictures, downing more glasses of alcohols and dancing on the dance floor. My housemate and I were one of the few rushing to the professional stationary photographer to get a few shots taken because we did not manage to buy the pictures last year! The pictures were so beautiful, we couldn't help it and bought about 4 pictures each that came up to a sum about $100. Just on the pictures alone! My housemate told me earlier in the day, "I don't think we will be spending much money tonight!" AS IF!

Feeling all satisfied, we returned to our seat for our main course. We had this non-juicy beef steaks with mashed potatoes. Not steaks... two pieces of beef. I don't know how you describe it. I only know I did not enjoy because the beef was overcooked and there wasn't much gravy. Look at the picture and you can see how generous was the chef! I love gravy! =( Anyway, while we were halfway eating, the DJ played a great song. We could not resist and therefore left our meal for the dance floor.

As usual, we walked around the ballroom to
get more pictures taken. Mingled around. Danced a bit. The usual stuff. By this time, there were people who were already getting drunk! I guess they were really making their money worth while!

Not long after, the dessert that I have been waiting for was served. I walked back to my seat and I saw this idiot sat at my place. He not only sat at my place. He took MY piece of chocolate that was on MY cake! MY CHOCOLATE! He saw me coming, he left my seat as though nothing has happened. Did I tell you I actually know him? But still! He did not have the right to take MY CHOCOLATE. I am not very close to him anyway. I don't even talk to him. I only know him by his name.

By the end of the 3 course meal, the DJ started playing some up beat songs and people started to flood the dance floor. He played quite a few of my favourites. But overall, I rate him about 5/10 because he did not keep my mood flowing. Some people were still queuing up for more alcohols but sadly, the bar closed quite early at about 11.00pm. My housemate was complaining she did not have enough. Poor girl ended up sober the whole night. I was sober too because I have good alcohol tolerance level. I did not drink much la!

I could spot a few fella who were drunk. How? Pretty easy...
1) The fella ask you if you know what is herb and spices. He will then tell you his name is pronounced as Herbs.
2) The fella ask you to wish his friend a "Happy 21st Birthday!" even though you don't know both of them.
3) The fella stops you halfway while you were walking and begs you to speak to his friend.
4) The fella keeps saying "KONICHIWA! KONICHIWA! KONICHIWA!" to you even though what you wearing is so obvious a cheongsam plus you look really Chinese.

The night will not be completed without a few poser pictures. =)



















































The ball ended about 12.00am. We snapped a total of 115 pictures and yet NOT satisfied!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ehh sook's dress damn nice! i like the colour :D i thought she said can't find nice dresses in melb?!

Miss Pharmacist said...

depends on how much you're willing to pay.. =)

Miss Pharmacist said...

she looks hot yeah?

Anonymous said...

DUHH lol... except for that ugly photooooo.... take it offf pls change it!....
yesss sha thankss lol!

ubean said...

high alcohol tolerance? not enough alcohol? sure ka? susah nak caya nih! :p